This is the end result of how Barry Feaker has treated the homeless population in Topeka, and how he runs the Rescue Mission.
*Horch told 13 NEWS the man had “fallen on hard times” and was “kicked out of the Rescue Mission because of a drinking problem and didn’t have anywhere to go.”*
By Victoria Cassell and Chris FisherPublished: Mar. 10, 2022 at 7:14 AM CST
TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) – One person is in critical condition after suffering serious burn injuries during a Wednesday night fire.
The Topeka Fire Department said they responded to a report of a burned man inside the Sinclair Gas Station near the 3100 block of SE 6th Ave around 9 p.m.
Fire officials tell 13 NEWS that the person was treated at the scene and taken to the hospital in critical condition.
Store employee Eric Horch told 13 NEWS he had just arrived to work Wednesday night to find a man, who he said was homeless, walking outside the store “naked and on fire.
Horch said the man collapsed after coming inside.
Horch told 13 NEWS the man had “fallen on hard times” and was “kicked out of the Rescue Mission because of a drinking problem and didn’t have anywhere to go.”
The Topeka Fire Dept. said firefighters located a fire nearby at 3310 SE 6th Ave. about a half hour after the victim arrived to the store. The blaze was quickly contained.
Horch said he believes the victim was trying to stay warm inside an abandoned building when he caught fire.ADVERTISEMENThttps://4b7db8ce8bcae722b47a090d94151616.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-38/html/container.html
None of Horch’s comments have been confirmed by the Topeka Fire Dept.
Fire Marshal Todd Harrison said the fire inside the building at 3310 SE 6th Ave. caused about $100 damage to the floor, and the cause of the blaze was incendiary — likely associated with a warming fire.
Copyright 2022 WIBW. All rights reserved.